[Python-Dev] "funny".split("")

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:36:46 -0500

[Christian]
> I have a one single opinion in this case:
> Let things be as easy to remember as possible.
> I'd do exactly what Perl does in this case, whatever
> it is. Only one fact to learn.

In the face of ambiguity, we're refusing the temptation to guess.

If we have to guess, then being consistent with Python's re is the only
defensible behavior for Python.

[David]
> it seems to me thatt's cleaner to tell the people who think it's
> nonsensical "don't do that" and give the rest the behavior they expect.

This argument can be given by a person verbatim no matter which of the three
identified behaviors they happen to prefer.  Therefore it argues for none of
them in particular.