[Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese)

Chris Hagner chagner@yahoo.com
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 04:42:01 -0800 (PST)

>>Greg Ewing wrote...
>>Seems to me there shouldn't be changeable default
>>encoding for source files at all. The encoding of
>>a source file is a property of the file itself,
>>not the interpreter used to read it.
>
>Guido van Rossum wrote...
>But practicality beats purity.  Some people don't exchange Python code
>with others, but they use a lot of code they write and maintain
>themselves.  It's hard to explain to them the need of repeating the
>encoding in every single module.

This may be naive, but would a package-level encoding specifier be a useful
middle ground?  This would adhere to the "purity" of associating the encoding
with the source files, but still provide a less laborious solution (assuming
source files are relatively well-organized in packages)...

Along this line of thought, I would assume the big question would be, "Is it
safe/fair/wise to assume a package's source files are homogenous
(encoding-wise)?".

Chris Hagner