[Python-Dev] Slash and burn in Tools/scripts. Objections?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 01:50:04 -0500

    >> And /please/ have long-option alternatives for each of the
    >> short opts.  E.g. --dry-run.  It is okay for there to only be a
    >> long-opt version of a switch.

    TP> No it isn't (if you don't believe me, ask your boss <0.3
    TP> wink>).

Hmm, tell that to the rsync authors (to pick one example).  Maybe they
should have chosen -Z for --modify-window <wink>.

    >> Also, always have -h/--help and (probably) -V/--version. ...

    TP> How about Trent check Greg Ward's Optik into Tools/scripts/,
    TP> lest he end up reinventing it?

    TP> (BTW, I agree with the goal, I'm just giving Trent an excuse
    TP> not to vent himself <wink>)

I suspect we've succeeded in scaring Trent away by now. :)

    >> ...  Oh jeez, acronym explosion time.  Some How, I Think Not
    >> Obvious.

    TP> Damn.  I can't think of any word that begins with K!

    TP> fortunately-unless-candians-keep-yelling-over-usecases-there's-only-
    TP> one-ly y'rs - tim

but-i-think-everyone-might-eventually-help-advocate-real-debugging-ly y'rs,
-Barry