[Python-Dev] Next version of PEP278 - universal newline support - available

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:31:41 -0500

>     Guido> I wonder if it would make sense to put a warning when people use
>     Guido> f.read(n) on a file opened in text mode?  I think f.read(n) is an
>     Guido> almost sure sign that they're seeing the file as binary data.
>     Guido> However, f.read() or f.read(-1) is used to slurp in text as well,
>     Guido> so should not trigger the warning.
>
>     Guido> Opinions?
>
> Pass this off to PyChecker?
>
> I guess with the presence of PyChecker I'm getting a bit
> schizophrenic about whether warnings go in the Python byte compiler
> or in PyChecker.  It warns about so many more things now than the
> compiler as it stands that it seems to me to be the more natural
> place to stick new warnings.

I don't think this is a good match for PyChecker, but I'll leat Neal
think about that.

More importantly, I believe that "official" deprecation warnings
should come from the Python interpreter, not rely on an add-on tool
(no matter how nice).