[Python-Dev] Next version of PEP278 - universal newline support - available

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:33:45 -0500

> The PEP seems to assume that the changed behaviour only apply to
> .readline() and friends. I'm sure that is obvious to you, but for
> historical reasons beyound my control, the universal newline support in
> jython normalize all lineendings to a newline for all reads on text
> files. I think jython is wrong here and your PEP is better.

I hadn't noticed this.  I'm not so sure.  I would like to be able to
write

  f = open(filename, 'U')
  data = f.read()

and then use some regular expression or whatever to munge the text.
It would be nice if I would still get universal newline support in
this case.