[Python-Dev] Activating pymalloc

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:12:12 -0500

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> I just performed some benchmark of pymalloc, compared to glibc 2.2
> malloc, using xmlproc (a pure-Python XML parser) as the sample
> application. On an artificial input document, the standard
> configuration ran 16.3s; the configuration with pymalloc ran 15s.
>
> I recommend to enable pymalloc by default; I can commit the necessary
> changes if desired.

I had some issues w/purify & pymalloc (1000s of warnings).
I think these problems were documented under the thread:

	* [Python-Dev] Mixing memory management APIs

in January and February (definitely in Feb).

I don't think they have been fixed.  I can't remember all the
issues (sometimes it was pymalloc, other times it was unicode).
So I may be mixing some things up.

Part of the problem was the code in Modules/sre.h:16:
/* size of a code word (must be unsigned short or larger, and
   large enough to hold a Py_UNICODE character) */
#ifdef Py_UNICODE_WIDE
#define SRE_CODE unsigned long
#else
#define SRE_CODE unsigned short
#endif

#define SRE_CODE unsigned short

Notice SRE_CODE is always set to unsigned short.
I don't know what is correct.

I can re-run purify.  Although, I have a crappy beta, so I don't
know if it will be useful or not.

Neal