[Python-Dev] Re: PyChecker 2 (changed subject)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 19:12:01 -0500

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:11:26 -0500
 Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> wrote:
> > pychecker2 is a complete rewrite using the stdlib
> compiler
> > package.  There are only about 10 warnings generated so
> far.
> > One of the goals is to support Jython.  Although,
> > we have only used CPython so far.
>
> Hm, but doesn't the compiler package use the parser
> module?  Does
> Jython support the parser module?  I'd be very surprised,
> since it
> uses different parsing technology...

The stdlib compiler package relies on the builtin parser
module.  It converts the concrete syntax returned by the
parser module to an AST.  It should be possible to write a
similar transformer for jython that converts from its
internal parser representation to the same AST.

On the other hand, I plan to work on a new AST for the
compiler builtin to the interpreter.  I expect it will be
quite similar to the compiler package's AST, but perhaps not
exactly the same.  It might be better if CPython and Jython
standardized an AST as part of the 2.3 development cycle.
Then pychecker2 could use it.

Jeremy