[Python-Dev] __getitem__ & slice question

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 10:44:57 -0500

> Why does that matter?  calendar.__all__ doesn't export
> _localized_name or any of the gimmicks built from it, so it's purely
> an internal issue, and the internals never need slices here (granted
> that day_name etc are poorly named for module privates -- or perhaps
> the __all__ list and the docs are in error).

I agree with Skip that these are public enough to make sure common
uses will continue to work, despite their current lack of
documentation.  After all someone did report a bug -- I'm sure that
was because they had real code using this which broke, not because
they happened to have inspected the code and noticed it was buggy. :-)

I have to say that I still think that adding __all__ to every module
under the sun was a mistake.