[Python-Dev] Activating pymalloc

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:59:59 -0500

[Guido]
> Of course, we'd still have several sets of macros, because of the need
> to be able to say different things: allocate and initialize an object,
> initialize an object, deinitialize an object and free its memory,
> deinitialize an object without freeing its memory; and the GC
> variations of all these; and macros that take type arguments used for
> convenient casting.  (Initializing and deinitializing an object are
> things like setting the refcount to 1 and initializing the type
> pointer, but various debugging modes add functionalities like counting
> allocations and linking all objects together in a doubly-linked list.)

Yup!  Count 'em all up, and I bet there are easily 100 function and macro
names mixed into this by now.

> Assuming we're ready to start over, I'd like to see a minimal proposal
> so we can discuss something concrete.

So would I.  I was up writing about this 'til 6 in the morning because
there's no time for it here.  I should be doing (many) other things now too
instead, especially Zope things.

I expect that either Neal or Vladimir could come up with a better compromise
position than I could, if they had time to work on it.

out-of-gas-ly y'rs  - tim