[Python-Dev] Weekly Python Bug/Patch Summary

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:55:14 -0500

> Multiple development trackers are evil.  The only one of the
> "standard" four that get created for a new project which *should* be
> separate is the support tracker.  Bugs/patches/features should be
> coalesced into one thing.  The current configuration of the trackers
> on SF has more to do with their legacy than anything else.

So it was a mistake to fork off a feature tracker?

What about MvL's assertion that it's more important to pay attention
to patches than to bugs, because patches are people who are trying to
contribute, and we want to encourage them?

(People submitting bug reports are also trying to help, but arguably
they are more interested in *getting* something, e.g. a fix, while
patch submittors are clearly *giving*, even if they may not always be
100% altruistic -- some patches are clearly "do it my way" requests.)