[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src/Lib tempfile.py,1.34,1.34.4.1

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:16:19 -0500

[Michael Hudson, on assorted tempfile.py fixes]
> Balls.  This depends on revision 2.219 of posixmodule.c:
>
> Expose more MS WIndows constants usable w/ low-level os.open().
>
> Which looks decidely feature-ish to me.

Yup.

> I'll back out this change to tempfile.py, but am open to persuasion
> that this is a sufficiently important bugfix to include it and the
> changes to posixmodule.c instead.

I'd back it out.  There's more to consider here than just whether "it's a
bug":  like also the Windows file.truncate() change, this replaced the
entire implementation of a feature with a new one using a different
approach.  I've got little fear of doing that for 2.3, because the new
implementation(s) will go thru alpha, beta, etc releases before becoming
"real".  For a bugfix release it's much riskier, as there's no way I can
swear that, e.g., there's no quirk on Windows ME (or XP, or ...) that might
cause the new implementation(s) to fail badly there.