[Python-Dev] License question

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:25:29 -0300

> The Python license gives you the right to prepare derivative works and to
> license them under any terms you like, but it does not give you the right to
> *re*license those parts of your derivative work that you got from Python.
> The Python license continues to apply to those:
>
>     provided, however, that PSF's License Agreement and PSF's notice of
>     copyright, i.e., "Copyright (c) 2001 Python Software Foundation; All
>     Rights Reserved" are retained in ... any derivative version prepared
>     by Licensee.

Thanks Tim. I'll probably license it completely under Python's license,
since I'd like to see this code in the standard library some day.

> Ditto for the other licenses the PSF license is stacked on top of.  So you
> have to retain the file full of licenses and copyrights that came with your
> Python distribution.  They don't apply to the original portions of your
> work, just to the portions of your work that came from the Python
> distribution.
>
> Note also:
>
>     3. In the event Licensee prepares a derivative work that is based
>     on or incorporates Python 2.2 or any part thereof, and wants to make
>     the derivative work available to others as provided herein, then
>     Licensee hereby agrees to include in any such work a brief summary
>     of the changes made to Python 2.2.

I was already mentioning the origin of the code in the portions I based
on fileobject.c. I'll also include a copyright notice in the header,
mentioning those parts are copyrighted by PSF.

> This is to help us, you, and your users keep track of which parts of your
> work are bound by the Python license, and which are bound by the license you
> put on top of the stack.  Your work "as a whole" will be bound by your
> license too, but the Python license doesn't allow you to forbid others to
> reuse the Python *portions* of your work with the same freedom we let you
> use it.

Sure. It makes sense.

> So, copy over the license file, and write a brief blurb explaining which
> parts of the Python stuff is your original work.

I'll do the other way around, since my original work is more than what
I got from python. Anyway, since everything will be under Python's
license, it'll be easier.

Thank you for explaining.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]