[Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen@xemacs.org
18 Mar 2002 19:19:00 +0900

    Paul> So, if Emacs recognizes the cookie, it will allow you to
    Paul> edit both code and unicode strings, as text.  If you need to
    Paul> put non-ASCII data in regular strings, not using the
    Paul> specified encoding, then write them as \xNN-escapes.

My point is that encouraging \xNN-escaping would be greatly
facilitated if Emacs did _not_ treat regular strings as text.  After
all, they aren't, except in the U.S.<wink>  I want Emacs to encourage
users to conform to Python's view of what belongs in there, not to
force Python to accept whatever Emacs can stuff in.