[Python-Dev] A Hygienic Macro System in Python?

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:31:47 -0500

Greetings all,

Has there been any discussion about adding a macro system to Python,
such as the hygienic macros supported by Scheme (R^4RS and later) and
Dylan?  Dylan made a lot of use of macros, providing a very powerful
environment for them. Many useful constructs can be implemented with
macros.

Anyway, if this has been discussed and shot down, I'll end the
discussion now. However, if this something that has been considered,
or might be, I'd be interested in pursuing it further.

    -tree

Sr. Computational Linguist                         http://www.basistech.com