[Python-Dev] A Hygienic Macro System in Python?

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:49:27 -0500

Neil Schemenauer writes:
> These types of macros don't impress me.  Yes, it's a little more
> convenient for the person who writes and understands the macro but its
> more work for other people who have to read and maintain the code.
> Instead of just reading the code they now have to lookup the definitions
> of all of these cute macros.  It reminds me of '#define BEGIN {' in C.
> The maintainability of code is it's most important quality, IMHO.
> Macros like "unless" don't help.  If you want "unless" it should be part
> of the language specification.

Well, FWIW, unless *is* part of the Dylan language, and can be
implemented as a macro (in terms of lower level primitives) or within
the language itself.

Whatever. Nevermind.

Sr. Computational Linguist                         http://www.basistech.com