[Python-Dev] A Hygienic Macro System in Python?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson@bigpond.net.au
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:48:52 +1100

Juergen Hermann:
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:45:09 -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> >More use cases please!  (Unless you give up now. :-)
>
> My major use case for (simple) macros would be AOP
> (aspect oriented programming), where calling a function
> can hurt you, especially for aspects like "do this on a
> development system, but not on the production system".

   My use case, which I don't think is achievable with simple macros, is
design-by-contract. Method preconditions and postconditions look easy, but
inserting class invariant checks would be much harder.

   Neil