[Python-Dev] Re: API change in 2.2.1c1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 08:59:42 -0500

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
> > There seem to be an API changes between Python 2.2 and 2.2.1c1:
> > PyCellObject begins with a PyObject_HEAD, not anymore with a
> > PyObject_VAR_HEAD. While it is unlikely that anybody will notice, I'd
> > prefer to leave the additional field in the structure.
>
> It would have been nice if Jeremy had responded to either of the two
> emails I sent him asking about this.
>
> I'm not sure jhylton@users.sf.net goes anywhere.

Try jeremy@zope.com.

IMO this is fine as a bugfix.  I can't come up with any *reasonable*
scenario where it would break an extension; the cell objects are
extremely obscure, and not even David Abrahams would have a reason to
access one directly.  Since the chance of someone relying on this is
still >0, I'd say fix it sooner rather than later.