[Python-Dev] Breaking bug #411881 into manageable pieces

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:41:30 -0500

[amk]
> I'd also add it to my collection, if someone wants to provide an
> attribution for it.

Since Guido owned up to it, I'll confirm it.  It was in email arguing
against the growing trend of an anonymous project to require the use of
trivial getter and setter methods even for classes just basically emulating
C structs.  By the time you've written getters and setters for "x" and "y";
documented that they, respectively, get and set "x" and "y"; repeated those
mindless docs in both the interface and in the method bodies; and written
unit tests to verify that setting x sets x, and that getting x gets the x
that was set; then likewise for y; well, then, if you're Guido, you stay up
late writing quotable quotes.

all-in-all-a-good-thing-ly y'rs  - tim