[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:10:28 -0500

  TM> [Guido van Rossum wrote]
  >> > [Jeremy Hylton wrote]
  >>
  >> [Trent]
  >> > Yes, I suppose so.
  >>
  >> I'd like to call YAGNI on this.  Also on the idea of being able
  >> to pass an exception to all logging levels.  Also on the idea of
  >> passing the exc_info in rather than having the logger call
  >> sys.exc_info().
  >>
  >> Instead, the logger should be subclassable or extensible so that
  >> Jeremy can implement this functionality if he really wants it.

What's the point here?  I've presented use cases, and I maintain a
large body of ZODB/ZEO code that already uses these features.  So it
simply doesn't make sense to say "You Ain't Gonna Need It" because I
already need it and zLOG already has it.

The feature is simple to explain and implement, and seems to have low
implementation cost.  So I certainly think it meets the simplest thing
that could possibly work criteria.

Jeremy