[Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese)

SUZUKI Hisao suzuki611@oki.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:46:27 +0900

> > > And TextEdit cannot save as UTF-8?
> >
> > It can.  But doing so suffers from "mojibake".
>
> You mean, it won't read it back in properly?

Yes, it won't.

> I expect that the localization patches that circulate now will
> continue to apply (perhaps with minimal modifications) after stage 1
> is implemented. If the patches are enhanced to do the "right thing"
> (i.e. properly take into consideration the declared encoding, to
> determine the end of a string), people won't notice the difference
> compared to a full stage 2 implementation.

You do not need localization patches anymore.  I have almost
written a sample implementation of "stage2" already.  It was so
hard that it took 2 days ;-).  I will post it to NetNews and
python.sf.net in a few days.  Yes, I will put it in the public
domain.

--
SUZUKI Hisao <suzuki@acm.org> <suzuki611@oki.com>