[Python-Dev] 2.2.1c1 platform reports.

Michael Hudson mwh@python.net
22 Mar 2002 11:44:52 +0000

I crunched through the various platform experiences I'd heard for
2.2.1c1, and came up with the following.  Can anyone fill in some
gaps, add comments or dig into some of the mentioned problems?  Things
are looking fairly good, but reports from AIX-land in particular are
making my head spin like a top.

If I remember, I'll try to keep a copy of this at

   http://starship.python.net/crew/mwh/221c1-reports.txt

Hardware: Intel
OS: Linux, BeOS, Win32

all fine.

OS: FreeBSD

test_math.test_exceptions blows up with "sqrt(-1) does not raise
ValueError".  It seems FreeBSD's libm doesn't set errno in this case,
and that MacOSX has inherited this behaviour (see below)

OS: OpenBSD

test_signal hangs on the sf compile farm.  We've had reports of this
before.  I can't be bothered to dig into it today.

OS: NetBSD

no reports.

Hardware: Sparc
OS: Solaris, Linux

also fine

Hardware: RS/6000
OS: AIX 3.5.2

./configure dies without "--without-gcc"; don't know if it actually
builds with it...

OS: AIX 4.2

some posixmodule gremlins.  Suggested fix to reporter; awaiting
confirmation before I check it in.

OS: Linux

OK on the compile farm.

Hardware: Mac
OS: MacOS 8.1

Doesn't work at all apparently :( A linking problem.  I hope Jack can
sort this out -- certainly noone else can.

Oh, apparently it's fixed, but it doesn't work on 8.5, or something...

OS: MacOS 9

I doubt Jack would have let me release c1 if this hadn't worked :)

OS: MacOSX

Has the same test_math problem as FreeBSD/x86 (which is perhaps not so
surprising).

Everything else is fine, except on sf's compile farm machine, which
seems to be fubarred anyway.

OS: Linux

Fine.

Hardware: S390
OS: Linux

Fine.

Hardware: Alpha
OS: Linux

Fine (I think)

OS: Digital Unix^W^WTru64^WWhatever V4.0

Threads b0rken, test_format fails (old libc bug)

OS: Digital Unix^W^WTru64^WWhatever V5.1

Fine.

OS: NetBSD (from Compaq's testdrive program).

Not happy.  Anyone care to dig in?

Hardware: IA-64
OS: Linux

Fine.

Hardware: HP PA-RISC (shut up at the back there!)
OS: HP-UX A.09.05

Apparently OK (!).  It built, anyway.

OS: HP-UX B.11.00

Seems to have unicode difficulties.

Hardware: SGI
OS: Irix 6.5

Fine.

Hardware: Cray (!) J90
OS: UNICOS 10.0.0.3

Got nowhere, as it couldn't define PY_UNICODE_TYPE.

Asked tester to try --disable-unicode and it dies in _sre.c:

cc -DNDEBUG -O -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -c ./Modules/_sre.c -o Modules/_sre.o
CC-147 cc: ERROR File = ./Modules/_sre.c, Line = 1791
  Declaration is incompatible with "int join(char *, char *)" (declared at line
          300 of "/usr/include/unistd.h").

  join(PyObject* list, PyObject* pattern)

Sigh...

--
  ZAPHOD:  Listen three eyes, don't try to outwierd me, I get stranger
           things than you free with my breakfast cereal.