[Python-Dev] Re: API change in 2.2.1c1

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:03:54 -0500

[MvL]
> > Given this API, I assume modules who use PyCell_GET would crash; if
> > authors restrict themselves to the non-macro versions, and never
> > declare PyCellObject variables (only pointers), the modules will
> > continue to work.
> >
> > I'm personally fine with the assertion that nobody did this, so it is
> > ok to change (thus breaking the ABI). If so, the argument "fix it
> > sooner rather than later" escapes me, though.

Then let me explain it.  We've had a few months since 2.2, and that
was a release with so many new things (and bugs) that many of the more
conservative users probably steered clear of it.  It'll be another
half year until 2.3 can fix this feature.  But until then (or really,
until 2.3.1 is out!), more people will probably use 2.2.1 than have
already used it.  So since it's *possible* that someone will find a
use for PyCell_GET(), I'd prefer them to have access to the fixed
version.

> > In any case: you have been warned...
>
> I'll back it out, for the sake of paranoia.  Just not just yet.

-0 to backing it out.