[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Kevin Butler kbutler@campuspipeline.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:16:03 -0700

Trent Mick wrote:

>Kevin, which side are you advocating here?
>Definitions:
>    'AGAINST' means to NOT provide the ability to log exceptions at levels
>        other than ERROR
>    'FOR' means that that functionality SHOULD be provided.

Sorry for the confusion. I am FOR the functionality, because the code
I've written & maintained has
needed it.

Although I like simplicity and thus empathize with Guido's desire to
simplify via YAGNI
("Done is better than perfect, simple is better than creative"), I
believe failure to provide the
functionality provides only a small simplification but will result in
too many distinct
reimplementations of the functionality and/or too much cluttered logging.

Guess-the-chad-was-dimpled-ly y'rs,

kb