[Python-Dev] Buidling on insane platforms

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:46:36 -0500

Following up on a threat I made earlier, I've fiddled my (Windows) build so
that:

+ obmalloc.c is now compiled directly.  It's no longer #include'd by
  object.c.

+ All the _PyMalloc_XXX entry points are physically inside obmalloc.c
  now (not some in object.c, and others in obmalloc.c).

This was easy to get working under the Windows build because I knew how to
do it <wink>.  In staring at setup.py, though, I find I have no idea how to
get it to work on your platform (let alone on the Mac).  I find it hard to
believe it could just work by magic.

Do Unixish boxes still use Makefile.pre.in?  If I add

		Objects/obmnalloc.o \

to the OBJECT_OBJS definition there, and remove this now-pointless line:

Objects/object.o: $(srcdir)/Objects/object.c $(srcdir)/Objects/obmalloc.c

is that enough?

Goodness knows nobody hesitates to break the Windows build <wink>, but I'd
just as soon not break yours if I can help it.