[Python-Dev] Activating pymalloc

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:26:45 -0500

[Neil Schemenauer]
> I like your second table.

That's why I presented it second <wink> -- it's the best compromise with
reality I could think of.

>> I expect the last table above matches what most extension authors
>> think, although some probably lump free/malloc into the block with the
>> other 8 historical ways to spell free.

> Perhaps it is worth trying to keep free/malloc separate.  That gives
> people the chance to base PyMem_MALLOC/FREE on a different allocator
> (e.g. Boehm's GC malloc).

I do want to keep them separate, despite the

"""
sketch-0.6.13

    Allocates with PyObject_NEW and reallocates with realloc,
    deallocates with free
"""

you found.  The "mixes in free" part has come up before too, but at my age
there's only so much brain damage I can absorb gracefully.

I would like PYMALLOC_DEBUG to be able to report violations of "the rules",
whatever Guido says they are; the API is too massive for me to keep
straight, although, at my age, I have indeed absorbed a lot of brain damage
<drool>.