[Python-Dev] Use of PyArg_NoArgs()

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:07:34 -0500

Neal Norwitz writes:
 > Should the use of PyArg_NoArgs() be deprecated?

Probably.  Even if used with METH_OLDARSG, it doesn't produce as nice
an error message because it doesn't know the name of the function it
is being called for.  There should be strong encouragement to shift to
using METH_NOARGS in code that doesn't need to be compatible with
older versions of Python.  (And the code distributed with Python
certainly seems to fall into that category!)

 > There are many uses (53) throughout Modules/*.c.  It seems that this
 > check is not useful anymore if the MethodDef is set to METH_NOARGS.
 > Is this correct?  If so, I can make a patch.

Please do.  Thanks!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>