[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 282 comments

Barry Scott barry@barrys-emacs.org
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 23:23:07 -0000

I think having a default implementation of logging is a good idea.

We have a number of logging systems for python that we have needed.
PEP 282 would eliminate some of the logging code we have.

Getting the logging system right is not easy. From the design
discussions we have been through for a C++ logging system recently
I would argue that the importance order is wrong.

FRom PEP 282
 DEBUG
 INFO
 WARN
 ERROR
 FATAL

Suggested
 DEBUG
 WARN
 INFO
 ERROR
 FATAL

The reasoning is that INFO messages affirms actions (Example: user logged
on, call placed),
whereas WARN messages can frequently be ignored. (Example: disk space is
running low,
old interface used)

Of course if you implement them a categories instead of an ordered sequence
the user can turn
on and off the categories that are interesting.

		Barry