PEP 263 phase 2 implementation (Re: [Python-Dev] PEP 263 considered faulty (for some Japanese))

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:20:12 +0100

SUZUKI Hisao wrote:

> > People had been proposing to introduce b'' strings for binary data, to
> > allow to switch 'plain' strings to denote Unicode strings at some
> > point, but this is a different PEP.
>
> I think you need not introduce b'' strings at all; you can keep
> it simple as it is.

the reason for adding b-strings isn't to keep the implementation
simple, it's because we want to get rid of the difference between
u-strings and 8-bit text strings in the future.

in today's Python, mixing u-strings with 8-bit text is anything but
simple.

</F>