[Python-Dev] Deprecating string exceptions

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 09:37:16 -0800

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> http://python.org/sf/518846 reports that new-style classes cannot be
> used as exceptions. I think it is desirable that this is fixed, but I
> also believe that it conflicts with string exceptions. So I would like
> to propose that string exceptions are deprecated for Python 2.3, in
> order to remove them in Python 2.4, simultaneously allowing arbitrary
> objects as exceptions.

Should it be arbitrary objects or just subclasses of exception: "It is
recommended that user-defined exceptions in new code be derived from
Exception, although for backward compatibility reasons, this is not
required. Eventually this rule will be tightened."

 * http://www.python.org/doc/essays/stdexceptions.html

 Paul Prescod