[Python-Dev] Discussion on the Python RPMs...

Juergen Hermann Juergen Hermann" <j.her@t-online.de
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 02:38:14 +0100

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 18:27:36 -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

>It doesn't work when going from 2.x* to 2.x*, but it does work in all o=
ther
>cases...  That's more a python issue than an RPM issue though, as it's =
the
>same thing that would happen with a source install of Python (unless th=
>libdir were re-located).

We have good results with installing into fully versioned directories,
and then symlinking a generic path to the latest installed version in
the RPM %post script, i.e.

/.../spam -> spam-1.2.3
/.../spam-1.2.3

This allows parallel installs of several versions, and easy switching
back and forth between them. Works for our requirements, YMMV.

Ciao, J=FCrgen