[Python-Dev] repr(x) != x.__repr__()

Oren Tirosh oren-py-d@hishome.net
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:09:39 -0500

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:28:12AM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm probably going to reject this bug as "won't fix".  I specifically
> put code in the new classes to create this behavior.  It's partly a
> performance hack: many operations become much slower if they have to
> check the instance __dict__ first.  But I also believe it's poor

If this is by design it's ok. I suspected it might be an accidental result
of the different internal structure of new style classes.

> check the instance __dict__ first.  But I also believe it's poor
> style to override a system operation on the instance rather than on
> the class.

And if it's not a system operation?  Is method assignment in general
considered poor style?  Something as vile and unspeakable as changing an
object's __class__ at runtime?  ;-)

    Oren