R: [Python-Dev] Deprecating string exceptions

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:48:55 -0500

    >> * I'm not saying you can't use "except:".  I'm not advocating a
    >> semantic change to the meaning of "except:".  (I am suggesting
    >> that KeyboardInterrupt should not inherit from StandardError.)
    >> I'm saying that the recommended usage for application
    >> programmers should be to avoid it.

    Guido> Sorry.  I told you I hadn't read the thread the first time
    Guido> around.

    SM> So, do we agree on this point?

There's definitely precedence for that, and I think you could argue
that a KeyboardInterrupt isn't an error the same way SystemExit and
StopIteration aren't errors.  I worry about backwards compatibility,
but I'll add this to the UPITS[1] Exception PEP

(Does anybody else lament the lack of an inheritance diagram in the
exceptions module documentation?)

-Barry

[1] Uber Py-In-The-Sky