R: [Python-Dev] Deprecating string exceptions

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:00:02 -0600

    Guido> Now, in addition, I lament the fact that we've got two disjointly
    Guido> developed sets of documentation, fighting over who can be called
    Guido> authoritative: doc strings and the HTML docs on the web. :-(

Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer.  I'm modifying libexcs.tex right now.  I
will add a comment to exceptions.c noting that the tex source has to be
updated if the hierarchy changes.  Some enterprising person could probably
add a little magic to Doc/Makefile to automatically update the .tex file
from the .c file, but I doubt it will change that often.

I think the more correct way to do this would be to run help(exceptions)
from Doc/Makefile and snatch the class hierarchy that Ping generates for use
in the .tex file.  I'd then advocate that the module doc string simply refer
to the libref docs for the hierarchy.

Skip