[Python-Dev] Unicode howto in the works - feedback appreciated

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer@conectiva.com
Wed, 1 May 2002 06:09:00 -0300

Hi Fred!

> that's a really great way to write non-portable code, of
> course.
>
> please keep your encodings explicit.

Oops.. sorry then. I must confess I'm a unicode newbie.

Could you please help me understanding some issues about this?

Will "print s.encode('iso-8859-1')" work for everybody? If not, how is
it better than doing it implicitly in site.py?

Why isn't "iso-8859-1" used as the default encoding instead of "ascii",
since it would help a broader number of langugages, and is the default
in operating systems like Linux. Maybe it would cause harm for other
encodings in some way?

Thanks a lot!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer

[ 2AAC 7928 0FBF 0299 5EB5  60E2 2253 B29A 6664 3A0C ]