[Python-Dev] PEP282 and the warnings framework

Michael Gilfix mgilfix@eecs.tufts.edu
Thu, 16 May 2002 18:01:36 -0400

  Sorry for joining this discussion a little late... Also, do you have
a URL to the module? Perhaps I missed that post :)

  I don't see why we can't support both class-based logging
levels and integer logging levels. The logging module can
simply contain a table that maps classes to levels. Then,
the application can implement filtering in the manner
most convenient for it. For classes, a class set can
be used for filter (with the implication that if a class
is within the set, filter it and its sub classes out).
Or numerically, the app can combine logging levels
like flags.

  Sometimes it's nice to structure logging levels as such (I've
used this scheme in my own apps):

    level1 = 1 << 0
    level2 = 1 << 1
    level3 = 1 << 2
    debug_level = level1 & level2

    logger = Logger ()
    # Print everything less than level3
    logger.set_debug_level (level3)

  ... and debug_level can be used as a set.

  Classes could work similarly by using a list. Adding a class
could filter out all its subclasses, and the hierarchy can
be structured from more general, harmless errors to more specific
and fatal errors.

  ... I'm not sure I'm a big fan of having methods describe
severity (as I believe I either saw in a post or read in the PEP).
Some apps might want to bypass the built-in scheme entirely. I
liked the design otherwise though :)

             -- Mike