[Python-Dev] New bugtracker project

David Ascher DavidA@ActiveState.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 16:55:10 -0700

My list of requirements isn't so much a list of reqs as a list of
features from bugzilla that we've found exceedingly useful.

0) keywords -- massively useful for targeting, filtering, etc.
1) Attachments on bugs (somewhat of  a merge of the patch tracker and
bug tracker, but also useful for attaching test cases, screenshots, etc.)
2) Being able to "watch" people - be notified when their bugs have
events happen to them, e.g.. when they're on vacation.
3) Saving and recalling searches
4) non-web, non-email access to the database (e.g. take all the bugs
assigned to so and so, and take those submitted by people in england,
and set the keyword "never" to them).
5) scalability (in # of developers, # of users, # of bugs, # of
'versions', # of 'products', etc.)
6) Being able to migrate a bug from one product to another (not all that
relevant for a Python-only bug tracker, except if the versions are
handled as different products).
7) Bug linkages (depends on/blocks, duplicate handling, etc.)

Useful things we've added to bugzilla include:
1) Ability to designate bugs as 'for internal use only' (not especially
important for python-dev =)
2) an 'efficient' UI.  The bugzilla default search results pages are
very inefficient from a UI point of view.  Andy McKay's version is much
better, I think.

Compare:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&component=Address+Book&short_desc=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

and:

http://bugs.activestate.com/buglist.cgi?product=&querytype=simple&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=substring&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=substring&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&order=bugs.priority%20ASC%2C%20bugs.bug_status%20ASC%2C%20map_assigned_to.login_name%20ASC%2C%20bugs.bug_id%20DESC

As I've mentioned in the past, we used an earlier version of roundup and
found it didn't scale well with thousands of users.  I haven't look at
the new roundup to know if it's dealt with the problems we had (way too
much mail generation by default, much too brittle, and poorly
architected =).

It's also important to have flexibility in handling the bug cycle (who
closes, who verifies, etc.).  Both roundup and bugzilla did that pretty
well.

--david