[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib types.py,1.26,1.27

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 22 May 2002 11:06:05 -0400

>     skip> add BooleanType
>
>     mwh> I thought we weren't doing this anymore...?
>
>     Guido> On the other hand for existing code that imports a bunch of types
>     Guido> from types.py it may be more consistent to use BooleanType.
>
> You find this in a lot of code:
>
>     from types import *
>
> Given that every other type is exposed through the types module it
> just seems kind of odd to force people to use isinstance() for
> bools, but have the old way of doing things continue to work for
> every other type.  I think you can stop adding new types to the
> types module if and when you deprecate it, but not before.

I don't see where I'm forcing people to use isinstance().  BooleanType
is exactly the same object as bool -- you can use 'type(x) is bool' or
'isinstance(x, BooleanType)' if you want to.

I think the plan is to stop recommending the types module -- maybe
deprecating it too.