[Python-Dev] New bugtracker project

Matthias Urlichs smurf@noris.de
Thu, 23 May 2002 07:35:02 +0200

Guido van Rossum:
>[David]
>  > For one thing, it was basically impossible for people with only a
>  > peripheral view of the database (managers, QA folks) to get accurate
>  > pictures of the database.  Nothing that can't be fixed if one has a
>  > real DB backend.

Currently it uses bsddb or anydbm. Backends for SQL or ZODB should
certainly be writeable, the question is whether they'll be useful.

Looking through the roundup code, a SQL backend looks like a good
idea. The code for finding elements needs to be rewritten (currently
it's not database specific and just scans everything -- that doesn't
scale), but other than that it should be relatively straightforward.

A ZODB backend should also be writebale, though I don't have enough
experience with ZODB to say whether making all classes inherit from
Persist and removing the marshalling code is enough. ;-)

Both backends are limited to read-only access from outside Roundup,
though. If not, triggers and journalling won't work.

>Speaking of which, how real is RoundUp's DB backend?  Does it use
>MySQL?  *Could* it use MySQL?  *Should* it use MySQL?

Umm, please s/MySQL/SQL/, as there are more databases out there --
besides, recommending MySQL is sure to provoke a flame war. (ACID may
or may not work 100%, no views, no sub-selects, ...)

--
Matthias Urlichs