[Python-Dev] Re: New bugtracker project

Richard Jones rjones@ekit-inc.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 16:15:30 +1000

On Thu, 23 May 2002 15:54, Aahz wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2002, Richard Jones wrote:
> > That's correct. Roundup's hyperdb is a relational layer over
> > anydbm-alikes.  The intent was to make it available to people who
> > don't/can't want/have an SQL database. Putting a real SQL database in
> > the backend doesn't actually gain much - the journals will be stored
> > much more intelligently, but for the most part, it'll be a lot of
> > effort for little gain. Most of the table joining that you need to do
> > is already done automatically by the hyperdb.
>
> So you're claiming that any reports I'd want to create already exist in
> Roundup?  That's the main reason for wanting a SQL backend.

Actually, the joining claim was a bit bold - it's been a while since I've used
the admin tool, and forgot how it worked :) Having said that though, does
your SQL database already come with all the reports you'd want to create? ;)

You will need to write reports, yes. Since roundup doesn't have a query
language, they will be more verbose than SQL. See the roundup-reminder
example script:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/roundup/roundup/scripts/roundup-reminder?rev=1.2&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

[sorry about the apallingly long url]

To clarify on the whole SQL deal (I hope): without a fair bit of effort
customising a backend for layering over an SQL database, SQL queries on an
SQL backend are going to look fairly hideous. One of the biggies is the
Multilink property available in the hyperdb, which would need a separate
table if implemented half-decently in SQL.

If you want to do lots of SQL, you'll probably want to either invest the time
in developing a hyperdb-over-SQL, or you're going to want to look elsewhere.

   Richard