[Python-Dev] New bugtracker project

Sean Reifschneider jafo@tummy.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 02:36:28 -0600

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:14:35AM +0100, Michael Hudson wrote:
>1) An email interface (OK, so this has been said, and already exists,
>   but...)

This is one of the things that really impressed me about the Debian bugs
system.  While it includes a web interface as well, it's primary mechanism
of control is via e-mail.

I haven't actually used it, but our LUG got a presentation on it a couple
of months ago and I was very impressed.  A few things I seem to recall:

   Submitting a bug/patch can be as simple as sending a plain text message
   without any special markup.  Special name:value information can be
   provided if known (releases it's related to, etc)...

   All attributes can be changed, bugs/patches can be merged or split.

   Mailing "12345-submitter" (or the like) will send e-mail to the person
   who submitted but 12345.  There are other aliases like that as well
   (mail people assigned to work on it, the automated system, etc).

The Debian bug system is available at:

   http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

While I'm (not suprisingly) interested in roundup because it's in Python,
I've been impressed with the demo of the Debian system.

Sean
--
 "The big bad wolf, he learned the rule.  You gotta get hot to play real cool."
Sean Reifschneider, Inimitably Superfluous <jafo@tummy.com>