[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Lib types.py,1.26,1.27

holger krekel pyth@devel.trillke.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 22:30:45 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > It follows: *every* argument is flawed because the basis of the
> > argument might change or be deprecated :-) I agree to
> > Kevin that deprecating the 'cold way' is not nice.
>
> Nobody suggested the module would be removed instantly (which I
> presume you mean by "deprecating the 'cold way'" -- otherwise I don't
> understand what you mean by that).

no, of course it is not removed instantly. 'Cold' was meant to mean
that something is beeing treated as deprecated while it is not.

> > Moreover, I don't think that 'use the builtins' is
> > a brilliant idea. Even in the standard lib more than *80* modules use
> > the name 'list' for their own purposes. People just don't
> > associate 'list', 'dict', 'str' etc.  with types but use it in every
> > day live as a convenient name.
>
> Most of these have been built-in functions for a very long time, so
> the naming conflict has always been an issue.

True, but this doesn't really weaken my argument.

But let's just drop this issue together with the types module
if you think it does too much harm,

   holger