[Python-Dev] Allowing Unicode literals even without Unicode support?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 21:32:50 +0200

guido wrote:

> Many test modules fail because they use Unicode literals.  It's easy
> enough to skip Unicode-related tests (just test for the existence of
> 'unicode'), but it's hard to avoid having Unicode literals in the text
> at all.

I'm not sure having to write unicode("...") instead of u"..."
qualifies as "hard", but life would be a bit easier if we didn't
have to...

> Should we perhaps silently interpret Unicode literals as regular =
string
> literals when compiling without Unicode support?

+1.0 on silently accepting ASCII-only u-literals also in non-
unicode builds.

-0.2 on silently accepting non-ASCII u-literals (your patch
didn't deal with that, right?).

</F>