[Python-Dev] Python 2.3 release schedule

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Sun, 26 May 2002 13:17:29 -0400

[Guido]
> - Stage 2 of the int/long integration (PEP 237).  This mostly means
>   warning about situations where hex, oct or shift of an int returns a
>   different value than for the same value as a long.  (I think the PEP
>   misses this step, but it's necessary -- we can't just change the
>   semantics silently without warning first.)

It's unclear there whether you intend that a warning in 2.3 be coupled with
(a) delivering the 2.2 result, or (b) delivering the new (auto-overflow)
result.  If a _future statement is introduced for this (incompatible changes
are what __future__ is there for -- alas), #a is the obvious answer.

> Anything else?

Nuking SET_LINENO remains the conceptually clearest way to get a >5% boost
in pystone.  As other high-frequency paths in the interpreter have gotten
leaner, the speed benefit of -O has gotten larger.