[Python-Dev] _tkinter problem with Stackless

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 01:52:54 -0700

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Greg Ewing <greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:
>

>>Am I right in thinking that a problem can only
>>occur if a tasklet switch occurs between the time
>>the local variable is created and the time it's
>>used? If the same tasklet is running both times,
>>the stack should be back in it's right place.
>

> Not necessarily. Christian segments the stack into slices, and only
> keeps the top-of-stack slice on the stack. So even within a single
> tasklet, you cannot refer to stack variables of your callers, if those
> callers are far away.

Right! At the moment it appears to be the only problem.
It isn't the tasklet switching (that behaves as Greg suspects),
but the slicing code.
By setting the slicing recursion interval to above 20,
the Tcl stuff works.
Maybe I'm just fine by patching _tkinter a little bit,
so that it influences stack slicing in a healthy way?

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>