[Python-Dev] Allowing Unicode literals even without Unicode support?

Alex Martelli aleax@aleax.it
Mon, 27 May 2002 16:07:53 +0200

On Monday 27 May 2002 04:00 pm, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I think the iPAQ has enough memory to support Unicode, and that's the
> only small platform I'm aware of that uses Python.  Of course, there
> are probably other embedded platforms -- but they have to speak up.

Sharp Zaurus is the one I'm aware of (having just ordered one specifically
to put Python on it...), but I'm not sure of its Unicode status/needs (it uses
an embedded version of Qt, and normally Qt uses Unicode, but I'm not
certain if that holds for the embedded version as well).  It has 64 MB (just
like the iPAQ, I believe?), so the 200k or 300k worth of difference that you
mention would appear to be a marginal issue there, too.  There IS a
half-price, reduced-functionality sort-of-clone of Zaurus just announced by
an India manufacturer (no builtin keyboard, only 32 MB, slower CPU clock --
but, same QTopia, and same embedded-Linux, as the Zaurus), but AFAIK
that's still vaporware (I wouldn't know where to go to buy one today).

Alex