[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 17:50:00 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>Exactly.  The changes _are_ documented in detail, indeed, but in
>>special documents which only serious users read when they about to
>>migrate from one version to another.  I'm thinking about users who
>>use the language occasionally or even regularly, but not fanatic
>>about following everything about versions -- they mainly rely on the
>>Python Library Reference, or even the Python Language Reference.
>

> Hm.  People who don't read the detailed documents shouldn't expect to
> rely on details.

People do read the detailed documents, but not again and again
every 6-8 months... heck, I work in the Python development team
and don't even feel like I am up-to-date with all the changes
going on in the core. If not even developers can follow the
rate of change, how should a typical Python user feel ?

Conclusion: I think that we need a migration guide for Python.

This would solve a whole lot of these "rate of change" problems.
The guide should complement the additions and changes to the other
documentation and provide a single source of knowledge in that
area.

Currently, the only source we have in this area is the
Misc/NEWS file and this doesn't provide any upgrade path
hints or porting details.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH