[Python-Dev] deprecating string module?

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 06:27:52 -0500

    mal> There's a good example of what I was talking about in the
    mal> "Stability and Change" thread: careless use of deprecations would
    mal> cause serious grief among developers and certainly also users (who
    mal> are then confronted with tons of warnings which they don't
    mal> understand).

I don't believe I said "let's carelessly deprecate the string module".

    mal> Now for Python modules the situation is a little better, since it
    mal> is possible to wrap up those deprecated modules in a distutils
    mal> package for users to install on top of their Python install.

I don't see why this can't be done for string.py.

    mal> BTW, I don't see the tradeoff in saving 11k worth of diskspace for
    mal> string.py compared to the good vibes we lose in the Python world
    mal> for this.

It has nothing to do with 11k worth of disk space and everything to do with
"there's one (best) way to do it".

Skip