[Python-Dev] _PyImport_LoadDynamicModule questions

David Abrahams David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com
Wed, 29 May 2002 12:04:59 -0400

On AIX, building a shared library for use by extension modules and which
uses the Python 'C' API is way harder than it should be**; the best
workaround we could find involves hijacking _PyImport_LoadDynamicModule to
load the shared library and patch up the symbol references.

_PyImportLoadDynamicModule is undocumented, AFAICT. Am I not supposed to
touch it? Is it likely to disappear or change its signature?

On a related note, I wonder about all of the _[A-Z] names in Python. I know
that at least in C++, these names are reserved to the compiler
implementation. I assume the same holds for 'C', and wonder if Python's use
of these names is intentional, on the "to be changed someday" list, or
something else.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

** details to follow in later messages; AIX is nasty but I think Python
could do a few things to help.

                  David Abrahams
      C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org)               O__  ==
      Pythonista (http://www.python.org)              c/ /'_ ==