[Python-Dev] Re: Stability and change

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
30 May 2002 00:04:33 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> All I'm asking is a leading paragraph something like this:
>
> """While the Python developers do their best to make every subsequent
> release backwards compatible with previous releases, in a system of
> this complexity, sometimes incompatibilities in odd corners of the
> language are unavoidable.  While we expect that these will affect only
> a small minority of Python users, we document them here for
> completeness."""

When I read complete change lists, I always think "don't they have
more important things to worry about", with the implication that the
author of the list did a good job, and unless I spot something that I
know will affect me, it gives me the warm feeling that I don't have to
worry about unexpected breakages.

So I'm all for producing a as-complete-as-possible list, and let
readers judge the relevance of this list themselves.

Regards,
Martin