[Python-Dev] release22-maint vs. release22-branch

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
30 May 2002 00:28:20 +0200

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org> writes:

> release22-maint
>     is what we use for post-2.2 maintenance releases
>
> release22-branch
>     was used briefly just before the 2.2 release

It is custom in other projects to have only one branch for both, and
having the x.y.0 release just be a tag on the x.y maintenance branch.
This requires freezing the maintenance just before the release to
everybody but the release manager, but since the branch is not use for
anything but the immediate upcoming release, this is no problem.

I suggest that this is done that way for Python 2.3 also.

Regards,
Martin